School Of The Forest Director And Full Time Outdoor Educator And Registered Maine Wilderness Guide
The School Of The Forest programs are run by Christopher Russell, an alumnus of Jack Mountain and registered Maine guide. Christopher studied Political Science and Environmental Studies in college, but after working in the non-profit field for a few years, wanted to try something different. While attending Jack Mountain’s semester program in the north Maine woods, Tim and Christopher chatted about Tim’s idea of a program for young people that really immersed students in the outdoors, while helping them to understand their place in it. After that, School Of The Forest started to take shape.
Christopher is a passionate outdoorsman and writer who enjoys having the opportunity to share that passion with people of all ages.
Christopher has been a long-term residential instructor for the Wilderness Bushcraft Semester at the Jack Mountain Bushcraft School and Guide Service since 2017, and run programs for organizations such as Squam Lake Natural Science Center, The Southern Vermont natural history museum, and other private and public organizations such as schools and homeschool groups.
Expedition Leader And Guide:
He has taken part in and guided extended canoeing, hiking, and snowshoe trips in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. Some highlights are.
- Registered Maine Guide
- Snowshoed with the Cree in Northern Quebec
- Has logged ten thousand river miles as a canoe guide and instructor.
- Run the Bonaventure River from its source in the Gaspé peninsula in Quebec.
- Guided Snowshoe trips in the Green Mountain region of Vermont
- Completed a swift water rescue course through Northeast Whitewater Guide service.
Other Undertakings Of Note
- Studied Political Science and Ecology at Webster University in St. Louis
- Completed Semester Course at Jack Mountain, as well as being the first student to receive Jack Mountain’s scholarship
- Completed the Jack Mountain journeyman certification in June 2016
- Completed Jack Mountain’s Boreal Snowshoe expedition
- Became a registered Maine guide in September 2017
- Lived in a primitive shelter for seven straight months.
- Sits on the board of directors for the Southern Vermont Natural History Museum